Saturday, December 06, 2008

Backyard Landscape

This used to (pretty much) be our backyard (it was about 100 yards away in reality.) I did this from the back of my truck, in acrylics, mid August 2007. It took about 6 hours and I only went back in later to put a few highlights on the mills tower. The hardest parts were the color of the sky and the grass. Believe it or not I think I nailed the sky, not on the first try, but I did get it. It seems really dark, but I remember, being surprised at how dark it looked when I really started examining it's value. The grass had to be simplified and I tried to perceive the overlapping clumps and rolls to the meadow, then I built the values up from there, admittedly the ground and forefront are greatly stylized. The saturation in the hue of the grass is turned up a couple notches as well. I omitted the "Shell" logo on the gas station sign.